Wednesday, November 19, 2008

that i can't explain.

Just a little rant that's been sitting in my drafts. Finally finished it this morning.

As all those who've sat or are sitting for SPM should know, Moral is hands down the most pointless subject we've ever been required to study.

All you have to do to get an A is memorise the 26 nilais. Word for word. Any mistake will result in no marks given. Which in turn will not give you an A on your SPM cert. Like seriously. Just memorise the kata kunci and you're good to go. As me and my friends have often joked, Moral does not test whether you bermoral or not. It test your skills in lying and writing about stuff you wouldn't do in real life.

The Ministry of Education has often said that learning Moral will instill good values into the students. How? I only see a subject that exercises the memory and crapping skills of a student. For all you know, the student who scores well for Moral could be the student that doesn't do their work, is spoiled and rude. But people seeing that he/she got an A for Moral in SPM would be "Oh. he/she got an A so that must mean that he/she is actually very nice and polite.". The only part of Moral I can see that actually could hep the students is the part where we do Kerja Amal.

While I'm sure there are many out there who 'fake' their Kerja Amal by posing for pictures, there are also those who really did go out and do some charity. In my class I know that most of them went to orphanages to help kids out, went to Zoo Negara. Me and my friends went to SPCA where we peeled chicken to mix with rice as dog food.

Another thing that bothers me is that Moral is a compulsory subject for non-Muslims. While Agama Islam is compulsory for Muslim students. Meanwhile Bible Knowledge is counted as an exrta subject. Why can't students be given the choice to either take BK instead of Moral? The Christians should be given the choice to take either. And the Hindus and Buddhists and all the other religions should be given their own subject. Taking an extra subject just means extra work so why can't other religious studies be counted as a core subject? Of course all the atheists and free thinkers would still take Moral but those who have a religion should be given the choice to take their own religious study.

Okay, rant's over. Sorry if it's a little long. And I think I've spelled the word 'choice' wrong so many times while typing this post. For some reason my fingers keep spelling it as 'choise'. Weird.

0 notes dropped: