Wednesday, July 23, 2008

like two dolphins.

I was just browsing through some Twilight fansites yesterday and stumbled across twilightguy.com. It's about this guy who has started reading the Twilight saga as he wants to know why so many girls are hooked onto it. He's posting his thoughts up on each chapter and has made it to New Moon chapter 4 so far.

In one of his posts (epilogue of Twilight I think), he made a very good point/observation. He said that he realized that he's reading the book not to read a bout Bella or Edward or anyone else. It's to read about Bella AND Edward. And I realized that that's exactly the reason I read so many chick lit books. It's not for the guy I wish I'll meet or the girl I hope I'll be. Eventhough I'm sure alot of people (my sister for instance) would read a book just to read about the very perfect or not so perfect but nonetheless good guy and how he's so romantic, polite, thoughtful, smart etc, I read a book to see the progressing relationship/love between the two main love interests.

With so many love stories out there, it's no wonder that many of us have deluded ourselves into thinking that 'dreams do come true' or have completely given up on the idea of true love. Who ever created fairy tales must have been very evil. I can just imagine the person thinking 'Hmm, I wonder what'll happen if I make love sound so perfect with happy endings? Women would have high expectations and dreams that will be crushed when they find out that there is no such thing as the perfect guy. Men will feel the pressure from the significant other to live up to the perfect guy character from fairy tales. Muahahaha, what a wonderful plan to crush the hopes and dreams of so many!!!'

Okay, maybe it wasn't like that but I could just imagine it. Sometimes I wish I could stop myself from reading all these books so that I won't have unrealistic expectations of guys but I always find myself going back to read all the mushy love stories.

In the movie 'Becoming Jane'(a movie about Jane Austen's life), Jane meets with a famous female romance novelist who writes novels that are filled with passion and mystery. However when jane Austen meets her, the author is actually a quiet and shy woman. When asked how the author comes up with ideas, she replies "I write stories because it's everything my life is not."

So just like that, I guess I read because my life would probably never come close to the romance I read in books.








But on the other hand, most stories/legends/fairytales usually have some truth in them. So maybe, just maybe, true love like in the books must exist somewhere right?

0 notes dropped: