Wednesday, May 05, 2010

skim.

I'll admit I've never been a big fan of poetry. I prefer nice lengthy books that describe everything in detail whereas poems just seemed too short and never enough.

But after taking lit for 1.5 years I see that sometimes poems say much more than a passage can. The poet uses just those few words yet they manage to invoke so many different feelings.

Poems just aren't about words on a piece of paper, poems can be read out. And I like this way of looking at poetry. Yet, honestly, tell me how many people you know would attend a poetry recital. I'm sure many years ago it was more common, like in the movie "Dead Poet's Society".

However, doesn't mean it's dead now right?

There's this show called "Def Poetry". And basically it's a poetry recital but these people don't recite the old poems that we would have heard of before like Shakespeare's sonnets. Nope, these people recite their own original poetry.

Some of them are really good but here's one I really like.

Sometimes Silence is the Loudest Kind of Noise
by Bassey Ikpi

0 notes dropped: