Monday, March 01, 2010

oil.

As a kid, didn't you feel that adults kept making you confused?

Or maybe it was just me.

But when results come back and let's say I got 94(a pretty good mark), my parents would always ask me who got the highest in class. And then instead of telling me that 94 is good, they'd say I should have worked harder to score the highest mark in class. After all, we should always attempt to better ourselves.

Yet when it comes to buying things, they'd always say that I should think of the poor children in the world who can't afford as many nice things as me.

How is that confusing you ask??

Well, excuse me but as a kid, am I suppose to be comparing myself to those better than me or worse than me??? No such thing as the best of both worlds okay.

Hmm. Now that it's all typed out it seems kinda silly. Ah well.

6 notes dropped:

Nick said...

Pardon me. I disagree with your assessment. You actually said it yourself. "After all, we should always attempt to better ourselves."
In the first instance, comparing yourself to those better than you and trying to beat them is an attempt to better yourself, i.e, make yourself smarter, more knowledgeable etc... Whereas in the second case, comparing yourself to those WORSE than you is for the betterment of yourself. If you compared yourself to those better off, you'd always want more and you'd end up by being greedy. So in this instance, comparing yourself to those worse off is the right thing to do, because it encourages humility, self-denial yadiyada...

wengyee said...

Haha. The key is to always compare yourself to whichever can let you keep or earn more money. You better yourself in terms of education so that you can get a job that pays well. While you compare yourself to those who afford less as it makes you feel bad and not spend as much money.

Nick said...

How cynical. How can you be both a romantic AND a cynic?? ~.^

Unknown said...

Rant all you want... we're gonna say the same phrases our parents said to us. *if we become parents*

wengyee said...

Yes I know it's strange I can be both a romantic and a cynic. But I suppose the realist in me is cynical.

Ah Jason, "IF" we become parents. Whatever made you think I'd want kids.

Unknown said...

Go forth and multiply.