Thursday, October 08, 2009

what's worth.

Optimist or pessimist?

Sounds like a stupid question no?

After all, I highly doubt suicidal people are optimistic. So clearly on that point being optimistic would be better since dying is perceived by most people as being not good.

But yet, wouldn't it be better to not be disappointed with life so often?

Situation: Someone applies to two different universities, one is really prestigious and the other is not bad but definitely not as good as the prestigious university.

Optimistic approach ~ "There's a chance that I'll get into the prestigious uni!!"
Pessimistic approach ~ "Oh well, I'm just trying my luck since I'm not good enough."

Result A: Person gets accepted in the prestigious uni.

Optimistic reply ~ "WOOHOO!! I knew I could do it!!"
Pessimistic approach ~ "Wow, they actually want me??"

Result B: Person does not get accepted into prestigious uni.

Optimistic reply ~ "Oh no, WHY?? Well, at least I can still go to uni."
Pessimistic reply ~ "I knew it."



Maybe it's just me. But I'd prefer to be pessimistic. After all, it'll be easier to be pleasantly surprised. Haha.




P.S Every time I think about this question I remember Trixie's presentation in English class and how being optimistic will lead to a person dying cause the bridge collapsed. Remember that Trixie???


3 notes dropped:

Nick said...

I like that. Must have been some presentation, and I agree, but for the sake of argument...

Some would say its better to hope and be disappointed than to hope for disappointment and be proven right. Or as I once heard, if your apartment doesn't let you have fire insurance, would you go homeless?

trixie, said...

Yes, it was an awesome presentation. I had stick figures dying. :) AH THE GOOD OLD DAYS. :D xx

Walking Disaster said...

Just live and let die!